Saturday, March 5, 2011

It's a QuickBooks "Bug" - Upgrading to 2011 makes COGS charged to customer names "billable"-manual fix required for now

I was on the Intuit Online Community and noticed this "COGS convert to "billable" after upgrade to v2011" post and remembered seeing the problem when I was prepping to teach an Intuit class on troubleshooting, and thinking that the effect of the 2011 upgrade was Very Messy. What happens is that a file upgraded to 2011 with transactions tied to a COGS account and a customer name convert to "billable". That means that Choose Billable Time and Costs” window is filled with a lot of previously unbillable COGS.
I thought: "Maybe this is something that Intuit can fix in its next update, if they know about it".
So I opened my QuickBooks 2011 and went to "Help>Send Feedback Online>Bug Report" and reported the bug, and I started the blog post you are reading.

RELATED POSTS:
Upgrading QuickBooks? Make sure your data file is healthy before you do it!
QuickBooks reports running slow? Your file may be damaged or fragmented

4 comments:

  1. After I reported this as a bug and didn't hear from Intuit, I called our ProAdvisor support line. They did not have a record of the bug yet but tested it with me and said that they were going to announce it internally now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got a call from Intuit this morning. They said that they received my bug report (that I sent over 2 weeks ago) but that no-one else had reported it. I told him about the Feb 11th post on the Intuit Community (http://community.intuit.com/posts/billable-flag-for-cogs-mistakenly-flipped-during-2011-upgrade), and convinced him to send my report to the Product Development Department.
    If you have the same problem with your upgrade please report it! Go to Help>Send Feedback Online>Bug Report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After Charlie Russel, the QB Expert, told me he didn't see this bug and suggested maybe it was the Sample data file I was using and not the software, I tried again and couldn't replicate the bug. Others wrote about the problem on the Intuit Community Forum and I personally think that the bug was fixed with one of the updates. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI: QB used to let you mark expenses to a COGS account as billable to a client. For our business this was very helpful. We upgraded to 2008 and suddenly it would assign it to a client, but wouldn't allow it as billable. We only used it for reporting purposes but it was an extremely helpful report...imagine all costs associated with a client/job right there in a report. But after 5 years it is still chaos. I see upgrading to 2011 won't help. So I will be reinstalling 2006. Way to get my $ Intuit. NOT!

    ReplyDelete